We believe that direct experience of transcending mystery and wonder is a wellspring for a life of faith. Life and the universe are replete with mystery beyond thought or expectation. Encountering it raises our spiritual awareness, inspires us to have spiritual practices, and opens us to the forces that create and uphold life.
We are now nearing 900 members in our Facebook group, and we hope that you will join us.
To create a community of Unitarian Universalists who share an interest in mysticism, in order to gain the rewards of mutual stimulation and support.
- To provide inspiration and community to UUs in the quest for direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces that create and uphold life.
- To involve UUs in the interfaith dialog on the evolving forms of personal and collective consciousness in the 21st century.
- To encourage the development of individual and group contemplative practices within Unitarian Universalist congregations.
- To develop and disseminate information and resources on mysticism and contemplative practices for use in UU religious education programs for both children and adults.
- To encourage personal witness and service reflecting the wellsprings of connection and compassion which open in us through the mystical life.
In 2004, a handful of Unitarian Universalists began a conversation about forming a network of Unitarian Universalist mystics. We organized and put up our first website that year, and had our first exhibit booth at the UUA General Assembly in Fort Worth in 2005. Our booth at the St. Louis GA in 2006 drew many visitors, many of whom agreed to be recorded for a video blog (see “Resources”). The next year in Portland, Oregon, an overflow audience attended member Joy-Ellen Lipsky’s workshop, “Walking the UU Path with Mystical Feet,” and our mailing list topped 300. Our trustees and members hail from all across America. Clearly Unitarian Universalists yearn for dialogue about mysticism. We are glad to help facilitate it.